Saturday, September 13, 2008

Internet woes in Lucena City

WTF has happened to Lucena City’s Internet after sales service? This question right now is ringing in my mind on how and why it is easy to buy DSL connection in Lucena City but after it is sold where is the fucking service?

Let me try to make a brief of the problem that giving me the fits. Lucena City is located in the Province of Quezon and currently its capital. Since the age of dial up it was there were many ISPs in Lucena that were homegrown (franchises or independents). When DSL came these homegrown players died off since they could not compete with the giants PLDT and Digetel.

Now a lot homes in Lucena either have DSL, dial-up :( and/or wireless internet connection. So a couple of enterprising persons decided to try and create several outsourcing business which required a STEADY and CONSTANT connection. Examples of them are a defunct medical transcription service , Qtech a Business Process Outsourcing, and several small call centers.

Realizing that I would be spending most of my time going around the world on errands I asked my mother to get a DSL line from PLDT for the house so I can email or message all my concerns to them. So they did just that. It got installed and lo and behold it sort of worked. The hitch however is that they have not activated so I waited for several days but still no activation.

One day I needed to have a message sent to the house and knowing that PLDT has not activated the DSL over there I decided to contact my friends at Quezon-tech aka Qtech and then I saw that they were all offline which puzzled me since I knew that they were subscribing to Digitel DSL so in the end I had to use other means to contact them. This scenario was repeated for two days.

When the Qtech people got online again I asked why they were offline and they said that their ISP did had a slow tech support. :( .

So PLDT has slow tech support in Lucena and Digitel has slow tech support too. OMG. How does an outsourcing business survive in Lucena? Most outsourcing business start with a small bandwidth usage but later they require more and more bandwidth which is used to do their day to day business activities. Most outsourcing business depends on the reputation they build up. A delay on delivery can affect one’s image and I doubt that majority of the contracted parties will take “my ISP is down” as an excuse.

Can I conclude that these companies are not really interested in the welfare of their customers?

links of mentioned companies are :

http://www.qtechbpo.com/

http://www.scribetech-ph.com

No comments: