Saturday, September 13, 2008

Juan Dela Cruz can code?

Sometimes I really have to shake my head when I encounter somebody who claims that they can code in the language I ask them to code in. Not because you can code the infamous “hello world” in that language does not mean you can program in that language.

In the Philippines this is a common occurrence and you really have to sift out the wheat from the chaff. These are not your everyday fresh graduates because if you look at their school records they did very well in other subject but the thing is they just can’t code.

Where does the root of the problem lie? I don’t really know but I do have my opinions on the matter.

One of which is that the graduates just coded to have high grades, the grade not the learning was the motivation and once the subject/course requirements was met they did not proceed to learn the nuances of the language.

Another is probably that as a student they did not use the resources available to them or rather misused it. A classic example is when students misuse their internet time, many schools have this resource available to enrollees, to prettify their networking pages with CSS rather than research for materials that me enhance their skill. Trust me I’ve encountered people who can create beautiful to dastard layouts of Friendster using customized CSS and yet can’t use the same principle when they do their web pages.

And IMO the saddest of them all is the instructor did not have sufficient mastery of the language or was not able to motivate the student to learn the language and the even worst part is that once these graduates start teaching the vicious cycle continues.

Pointing out the problem will not solve anything as the adage goes so in turn I would like to invite those who want to learn or learn with us to join http://www.qtechbpo.com/forum/ and post their questions or answers. We will try and assist you in the right way meaning we will help you but will not do your assignments for you.

No comments: